The History of Anchor TattoosThe anchor tattoo has been proudly adorned by sailors, fisherman, and others who make their living on the sea, as well as those in the Navy. That said, the anchor tattoo’s meaning has changed over time:
- The U.S. Navy has recognized the anchor as an important symbol.
- The anchor can be seen as a stabilizing factor in storms, also.
- Lifted anchors can symbolize hope and letting go of obstacles.
Anchor Tattoo Designs
Placement is ImportantOne of the best parts of anchor tattoos is they can be extremely flexible. The design of the anchor is completely up to your personal style, being either simple and Spartan, or intricate. Here are some places you may find anchor tattoos:
- Small anchors can be placed on the finger or the sides of the hand, even the wrist
- Some prefer to have larger anchors on the shoulder
- The forearm or the back of the arm are other popular areas for an anchor tattoo
- Anchor tattoos can be placed on the heel of the foot
- On the neck, an anchor tattoo placed behind and below the ear is a nice accent
- The back makes a wide canvas for large anchor tattoos
Design OptionsThe design of the anchor can vary widely. Some prefer their anchors to be black and white, while others include splashes of color or even to have the anchor as a centerpiece with other elements surrounding it (such as an octopus entangled around the anchor). Common design options often are represented by:
- A simple anchor with an inspiration phrase beside it
- Anchors with geometric shapes or compass inscriptions
- A vine of flowers wrapping around an anchor
- A dove with the anchor, for freedom at sea
- Hearts on the anchor, to emphasize your love for the sea or show your sacrificial attitude in love
- Eagles and globes can be combined with anchors to symbolize service in the Marines
- Ropes and anchors are a popular way to symbolize service in the Navy
Combination Anchor TattoosAnchor tattoos can be combined with other tattoo styles, as well. One popular combination is tribal and anchor tattoos. Not only can you represent your love of the sea, but you can pay homage to your heritage or just enjoy the stylization that tribal tattoos have to offer. Tattoos and arrows are another popular combination. Arrows can stylize the anchor or point the way home. It is a gorgeous option for anchor tattoos.
Aftercare for Your Anchor TattooYour tattoo artist will give you specific aftercare instructions for your tattoo. Be sure to follow these for a long-lasting, beautiful tattoo. Scratching, failing to follow care instructions, and removing your bandage too early can result in a tattoo that is not brightly colored or has a damaged design.
Our Favourite Tattoo Aftercare
After InkedAfter Inked Tattoo Moisturizer delivers effective skin moisturization and helps to preserve the colours of your tattoos. There's no petroleum so it won't stick to or stain your clothes. This moisturizing skin lotion, enriched with Grape Seed Oil, can also be used on any permanent makeup procedure on lips, brows, eye liner, and areola, as well as an after-laser tattoo removal moisturizing lotion. After Inked is Dermatologist tested, non-allergenic and non-irritating.
PurSanPurSan Aftercare is a specially formulated Vegan skin cleanser used to clean and moisturize as part of an aftercare regimen for fresh tattoos and piercings. It revitalizes, refreshes and purifies skin without drying it out. Gentle yet effective, PurSan contains no parabens, fragrances, colourants or alcohol. Chloroxylenol (PCMX) is a proven antimicrobial ingredient shown to be effective against bacteria and viruses without burning or irritating the skin. Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Hypromellose) is an ultra-high grade lubricant ideal for sensitive skin.
Why Anchor Tattoos are a Timeless ChoiceThere are many different types of tattoos to choose from and many different places to put a tattoo. When researching your next tattoo design, consider the anchor. The anchor represents many things to many different people, and it may be the perfect way to express your personality. This beautiful design can go just about anywhere on the body and can be adapted to you what you want in a tattoo. The anchor can be a simple of strength, service, love, and more. Before you get your next tattoo, research different meanings and decide what you would like to communicate to those around you through this beautiful art.
378 Yonge Street, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1S6 Directions
252 Eglinton Ave East, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K2 Directions
7381 Kennedy Road, Unit #105, Markham, Ontario L3R 5B5 Directions
100 City Centre Dr., Unit #2-311, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2C9 Directions
Looking for your next Tattoo Idea?
Browse our selection of one of a kinda tattoo designs created by our Chronic Ink artists. Each piece is individual and will only ever be tattooed once.